While onsite events remain suspended, the Society's Reading Room has now re-opened on an appointment basis and we continue to run an active events programme online. Staff are contactable and should you have any enquiries, can be reached by email:
Director: Alison Ohta
Librarian: Edward Weech
Archivist: Emma Jones
Journal Executive Editor: Charlotte de Blois
We send our best wishes to all our members and supporters. We hope everyone stays virus free and we look forward to resuming our full programme of activities once this difficult time has passed.
A portico of four columns. Ram Raz Collection c.1825
Kunisato Triptych: View of Akabane, Yedo, early evening. From an album of theatrical prints presented by Herbert Charles Fanshawe, December 1923
Tod Collection: Rana Jai Singh of Newar being weighed, Udaipur
Demons and kings seated in two main rows. Illustration from the Adi parva of the Mahabharata.
Applications open for the position of Editor of the Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society
Professor Sarah Ansari, who has been the Editor for twenty years, is retiring after taking up office as the Society’s President. The Society invites applications from individuals or editorial partnerships based anywhere in the world. The successful candidate(s) will have a clear and exciting vision for the journal’s future development and the energy, commitment, and standing to realise that vision.
Interested applicants are encouraged to send a brief CV and covering letter to Dr Gordon Johnson (email@example.com), who is the chair of the Society’s Publications Committee. Dr Johnson is willing to answer informal enquiries. Covering letters should outline how the applicant(s) would approach the editorship, including:
• thoughts on the future content and strategic direction of the Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society, development of the journal’s international profile, aims and scope
• day to day running of the journal editorial office in the digital world
• financial and administrative support required from the Society
• an indication of the support available (if any) from the applicant’s home institution (if relevant), including financial or administrative support and time allowed for journal work
• details of any prior journal experience, especially digital publishing The total document should comprise no more than five pages.
Applications (by email to firstname.lastname@example.org) are welcome at any time up to 16 July 2021.
For more info: https://royalasiaticsociety.org/journal/jras-editor-applications/
Latest News: Lectures, Collections and Prizes
To register for any event please contact Matty at mb AT royalasiaticsociety DOT org who will send you a zoom link to attend.
20th May Amanda Phillips Book Launch
8th June Stephen Martin Lecture
15th June Luca Olivieri Lecture
24th June Elizabeth Lambourn Lecture
These events will take place at 6.30pm BST over Zoom.
BAYLY PRIZE 2021
15/01/21 ANOUNCEMENT OF THE BAYLY PRIZE 2020 WINNER
Chinese Letter Hongs Project Now Live
There are no upcoming events at this time.