The Society welcomes applications for fellowship from anyone with a serious interest in Asian Studies. Students following an established course of education are eligible for Student Fellowship at a reduced fee and their application should be accompanied by a letter of support from their course tutor/ supervisor or a copy of their student card.
Benefits of Fellowship
- The opportunity to support, and be involved in, the work of a learned society concerned to increase knowledge of Asia.
- The opportunity to meet leading scholars in the field of Asian Studies.
- The opportunity to attend, and bring guests, to lectures, seminars and cultural events held at the Society throughout the year.
- Access to the Library and the Society’s manuscript holdings.
- Use of the Society’s Reading Room.
- Discount when hiring the Society’s rooms.
- Receipt of the RAS Journal four times per year.
- Discount on reproductions from the RAS collections.
Applications are considered regularly and normally processed within a month. You can submit your application online here.
If you prefer to download the form and send it by email or post, you can do so by downloading the PDF RAS Application Form.
The first payment of subscription is due on election and then annually from the date of first payment. The Society prefers payment by Direct Debit and offers a reduction in fees for fellows choosing this option. This option requires a UK bank account. Fellows who pay UK income tax can complete a Gift Aid Declaration (if they have not already done so) so that the Society can claim the maximum benefit under the new rules for charitable giving.
Once your membership application has been approved, you can pay electronically for your membership below. Existing members renewing their subscription can also pay using the same PayPal links.
The first payment of subscription is due on the acceptance of your application. Annual subscriptions shall be due on the first day of January of each year or from the starting date of the Direct Debit.
The Council has decided to introduce five life fellowships per calendar year starting from January 2014 at the rate of £1,500.
Conditions: Price and Availability remain subject to annual review by Council.
Terms: To clarify that all the benefits of Fellowships remain subject to change without notice.
Privileges: Life Fellows to be publicly recognised in the same way as Donors.
Should you be interested in applying for one of the Life Fellowships please contact the Director Dr Alison Ohta via email firstname.lastname@example.org